Kolaches, MD Anderson, and the Zoo 4/9/18

We started the day at the Kolache Shoppe for Robbie’s favorite sausage, egg, cheese, and jalapeño in a bun. It is our favorite Kolache place in Houston. It is on Richmond near Weslayan Street. Robbie’s grandpa Mudroch used to make kolaches every year at Christmas. We learned about the bakery when we toured the Czech Museum in Houston.

Next Robbie had bloodwork for the clinical study. He told me they took multiple vials today. Some of the vials are being used for research.

We had extra time between appointments, so we went on a quick trip to the zoo. We ran into Sydney, one of the sweet zookeepers, and she let Robbie feed Curly a couple grapes. This was the highlight of Robbie’s day! Curly even climbed out onto a branch to be near Robbie and the grapes.

Then back to MDA to see his main doctor. Robbie is much better, but still gets tired easily. The side effects of the drugs are starting to wear off . We are so thankful he is doing better. It is scary when you don’t know how long the side effects are going to last or if anything is permanent. We are also thankful for the caring staff at the Sarcoma Center that are all watching out for Robbie.

Better Day 4/8/18

Robbie is feeling better today after a very difficult week. He got a cute sloth, shirt, and card in the mail. He is still feeling the side effects of his treatment, but his fever is much lower and his headache is gone. So far today he hasn’t been shaking and his rash is not as bright red. I sure hope his cancer was hit hard this week too! They won’t check until after round two. There isn’t anything worse than watching someone you love suffer. He will see his main doctor tomorrow for another follow up appointment.

I apologize that I am a few weeks behind on Thank you cards. Everything you do is appreciated. ❤

Disappointing Day 3/26/18

It was a very disappointing day. Robbie was supposed to start the clinical trial today. He had bloodwork and then we waited 3 hours to find out that treatment had been cancelled today due to low blood counts. We don’t know why his white blood count is so low today. He was given a shot and will receive another shot on Sunday to help boost his white blood count. Then hopefully start the clinical trial next Monday. Robbie was upset and worried to hear this. We hate to delay treatment.

Then Google called and decided they want him to move to California instead of working remotely. Of course…. since he is still fighting cancer, he can’t move right now. Talk about another HUGE disappointment. I wanted to call them personally, but my children told me I wasn’t allowed to call Google and explain why this job is important right now during Robbie’s treatment and cry on the phone.

Robbie wanted to go to the zoo after his rough day. The sloth zoo keeper allowed Robbie in the back with Curly to feed him and talk to him. Curly really likes Robbie and kept looking at him. So cute and so sweet! We love the people at the Houston Zoo. Ruth was with us, so she got to see Curly and feed him too. She changed her flight to leave on Saturday instead of Tuesday, since we are such a mess today.

He received some cards in the mail today from Navico, which he was very excited about! They are so good to him! He also got a cute sloth shirt from a friend and some cards from the Sunshine Snail Mail. Keep the cards coming, you are really helping him.

Thank you for all your support.

Biopsy is Done 3/21/18

Biopsy Today

Robbie had a biopsy on one of the tumors in his lung today. He did well. He was asleep most of the day. They finally let us leave the hospital at 6:00 tonight. Lynn and Josh spent the day with us, which really helped!

We have to go back tomorrow for tests on his heart. I’m not sure if there was a problem with the first heart test or if they didn’t do the test correctly.

Cards and packages ❤

Thank you to everyone that has been sending cards and packages. You are really helping him through a rough time. We are so thankful for your kindness!

Medical Updates 3/8/12

Last month his Dr said his cancer was only growing a millimeter a month, so his plan was to wait until the tumors got to a certain size to start treatment again. In fact, he said we could really go three months between appointments, but I insisted on monthly checkups.

This month, the tumors have decided to take off, so treatment needs to start as soon as they can get him accepted into a clinical trial. They are hoping to get him into immunotherapy clinical trial. Praying this treatment works. His Dr continues to give a poor prognosis, but we have all heard of people that have beat the odds.

Robbie started the week on a high, when he had 3 teams from Google all interested in him. He interviewed in San Fransisco last year while in remission. Now with treatment starting again, we don’t know if they would consider having him work remotely. For a child that loves math, not only is he upset about his health, but also the job opportunity.

Then we went to the zoo and they let him in the back to feed Curly, since he had a rough day. I love how kind they are to Robbie.

Keep praying.