Updates 2/11/19

He had the lung tube inserted today. He also has an infection in his lungs. He is weak and upset. We are keeping one person at a time with him around the clock.

The sarcoma team spoke with me today, which was a heartbreaking conversation. I was told that this will probably be as good as he gets. Most likely he will decline to being asleep all the time. We can only switch to taking him home if he can be on lower oxygen. He has cancer is throughout his body. He will be moved to the palliative care unit at MD Anderson.

They have him hooked up to a variety of monitors and he hates all the cords on him. He is having a lot of panic attacks with breathing.

Our girls changed their flights and are staying in Houston. Their significant others are coming down later this week. My sister Terry also changed her flight and is staying.

Today we are seeing Jim’s cancer doctors too.

Keep praying ❤

Hospital Updates 2/10/19

Robbie continues to be very weak and breathing heavily. They gave him blood last night and plan to give him three more bags today. He is very uncomfortable with only one lung working right now. They plan to put the tube into his lung tomorrow morning when they have their surgery team together. I was really hoping they would today. They didn’t let him eat incase they needed to have an emergency surgery. Finally, they are letting him eat today, but he can only handle liquids, anything else makes him choke and he can’t breathe. It is heartbreaking to see him struggle and be so weak that even standing is too much for him.

The girls are both here from Tulsa. Lynn flew in a couple days ago and Ruth arrived this morning. He has a friend that drove from Tulsa, but unfortunately Robbie is too weak for company right now.

I spent the night with him and he was able to sleep, but was talking in his sleep, which he never does. A few times I asked what he needed and then realized he was sleeping. He has received pain killers as needed.

We appreciate everyone’s support. ❤

At the Hospital 2/9/19

We took Robbie to the ER and he has been admitted to the hospital. His lung that was drained on Thursday has filled to the top with fluid again. He is very short of breath and weak. He is on oxygen and a lung specialist will see him tomorrow. They will probably put a tube into his lung to allow it to constantly drain. The tumors are causing the fluid. He also has low blood counts, so he is getting a transfusion.

He has a friend visiting from Tulsa, which is so sweet.

Ruth moved her flight and is flying in tomorrow morning.

It is so difficult to see him suffer. He is so uncomfortable and unhappy.

Keep praying ❤

Tears 2/8/19

So many tears and prayers. It doesn’t seem possible that our sweet boy is so full of cancer. His Dr advises that he no longer travel out of state. Robbie is asking to visit Curly the Sloth at the zoo, so I will take him as soon as he recovers from his lung procedure. He is very tired from a day of tests and procedures yesterday. He had more scans today.

I am going to take a leave of absence from my job. I teach K-5 children with autism. I work with wonderful people and I am going to really miss them while I am out. I am thankful to work with such a great group.

My sister Terry is here and so is Lynn. Ruth is coming in a week.

Sad Update 2/7/19

Robbie has been having trouble breathing, so they did scans and found that his left lung was full of fluid. A lung specialist did a procedure today and removed 600ml of fluid from his lung. His color is already much better. He was looking very gray.

The latest scans show that his cancer is spreading quickly and his Dr doesn’t recommend additional treatment. He told us that Robbie only has weeks to live and recommends hospice.

We are so heartbroken.

Tears ❤

Miserable 2/5/19

Robbie is feeling miserable today. Back pain, head ache, fever, and breathing heavy. He had a chest scan this afternoon and we will get results on Thursday. I am worried about him and I wish there was something I could do to help him to be more comfortable.

Fever and Sleeping 2/4/19

Robbie has been running a fever the last few days. He sleeps a lot and is coughing more. As long as his temperature is below 101, we don’t have to take him into Anderson. It has been between 99 and 100.8. He doesn’t want to go back to the hospital, so we are holding off for now.

Wedding Planning 2/1/19

Robbie’s sister Lynn is getting married next month. We are really looking forward to her wedding. We are looking forward to sharing a wonderful day with family. My great niece is one of the flower girls. My mom’s only remaining sibling plans to attend too. It is a bright light in a rough year. It will be a beautiful day. ❤

When people call and ask our plans, it is hard to answer them when we don’t know what tomorrow will bring. Normally we would be better hosts and have extra plans for family members coming into town and offer to pick up people at the airport or shuttle people to their hotels and the wedding. I know our families will help each other out and we will have a wonderful day.

Please have patience with us, because we are struggling. I feel like we are on the Titanic and we already hit the ice berg.