Finally Home! 4/5/18

We are finally home from MD Anderson. Robbie is on an antibiotic. He continues to feel terrible. He shakes from chills, fever, cough, rash…. They feel most are side effects of the drugs plus he has a sinus infection. Makes us nervous to see him so sick. All his regular nurses were worried about him and busy giving him blankets, checking on him, and making sure that we were okay to leave.

We need to continue to monitor his fever and symptoms and if he gets worse, bring him back to the ER. They can put him in the hospital and give him IV steroids, but it would reduce the effectiveness of his treatment, so they hope he will get better on his own along with the antibiotics.

Pray that he can calm down from his day and rest. He is very uncomfortable and restless. Pray also for healing and for his side effects to go away.

Immunotherapy Starts Monday 3/24/18

Robbie starts the clinic trial with immunotherapy on Monday. We will meet with his main doctor again Monday morning and then Robbie will be hooked up to one drug at a time. There are two different drugs. They shouldn’t cause hair loss like the other drugs, instead there is a whole list of different side effects. Praying the side effects are minimal.

We haven’t gotten the heart test results yet, but chemo dates have been put into Robbie’s medical calendar through July, so I’m guessing what ever concerns they had ended up not being significant enough to knock him out of the study.

Thank you so much to everyone that has sent a card! He loves getting mail and you have really helped him! It is a very rough road right now. The clinic trials are being done, knowing the statistics so far aren’t favorable, but it is the best option they have right now. We will even cheer if it halts the growth of new tumors.

Lung Doctor Updates 1/9/18

In this picture the nurse practitioner is pointing to the area of his lung that has fluid. They will watch his lung and said it is not unusual after lung surgery.

First the Good news... Robbie is cleared to travel next week to Costa Rica with few limitations. This is something we worried we wouldn’t be able to pull off and we are very grateful to everyone that helped with his Bucket List.

The lung doctor was able to get clear margins around the tumors he removed…meaning he removed all the cancer in the lung that he found. All great news! His doctor also told Robbie that he thinks of him every time he sees or hears about sloths. So sweet!

Bad news: Unlike his leg tumor that was 98% necrosis (dead), his left lung tumors were only 5% necrosis or 95% viability (living).

What I interpret from this report (which is like reading Greek) is the chemo had limited impact on the cancer. They are holding off surgery on the right lung for now. The dr said it is because the tumors are smaller and he doesn’t want to miss any when he does surgery.

We will see Dr Ratan after the trip. He will do additional testing and he is great at explaining everything. As my friend would say…”Just keep swimming”…

Chemo Afternoon 10/23/17

The first picture is start of chemo.  He was feeling great and holding his new sloth. The second picture, chemo was almost done and he was weak. 

When I was packing our things into storage, I wish I had left his wheelchair out. We could have used it today getting in from the parking ramp to our apartment. Now we are home and he is sleeping.

 It is hard to see him doing so well and see chemo knock him down. Praying it is also knocking out the cancer!